When can a food establishment re-open or resume full operation after an IHH?

Ensure that the imminent health hazard (IHH) has been eliminated and compliance is met for all other items listed on the “Checklist for Re-Opening After an Imminent Health Hazard,” document. Notify the SNHD that the IHH has been eliminated and that the food establishment is ready to resume operations. Facilities that notify the SNHD and follow the re-opening checklist will be given permission to re-open. Depending on the type of IHH, a re-opening inspection may be scheduled.


What should be done if water is lost at a food establishment?

Investigate the cause of water loss. Is only one business without water? Or, are other businesses in the immediate area affected? Contact the local water agency to report the outage and to determine if there is an estimated timeframe for water to be restored. Discuss with the local water agency if there are necessary steps to flush the water lines after water has been restored to the food establishment. Contact the SNHD Environmental Health Division for guidance.


Can a food establishment still operate during an electrical power outage?

Continuous operation during an electrical power outage depends on the situation. If the interruption of electrical power service is for a short time (as estimated by NV Energy) and the person-in-charge closely monitors food, equipment, and water temperatures to assure all are being maintained at an acceptable temperature (see criteria below) and there is adequate lighting, ...


What should be done if electrical power is lost at a food establishment?

Investigate the cause of electrical power loss. Is only one business without power? Or, are other businesses in the immediate area also affected? Contact NV Energy (702-402‐5555) to report outages and to determine if there is an estimated timeframe for electrical power to be restored. Contact the SNHD Environmental Health Division for guidance.


Where can more information be found?

Contact the Food Operations inspector or the general inquiry link for additional questions. Food donation safety tips can also be found on the “FDA Surplus, Salvaged, and Donated Foods – Safety Tips” site: www.fda.gov.


Where can more information be found?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) document, “Fish and Fisheries Products Hazards and Controls Guidance,” contains detailed information on parasites in specific species of fish and also provides information on the process of parasite destruction; or, contact the Food Operations inspector.


What records does an establishment need to keep?

Fish that are treated for parasites (frozen) by the food establishment: Records documenting the freezing temperature and time to which the fish were subjected must be maintained at the food establishment for 90 days beyond the time of service or sale as per Regulation. Logs are available for download in the logs and templates section.


What are the requirements for parasite destruction?

Except for fish listed as exempted by Regulation, fish that are served raw- or partially cooked must be subjected to parasite destruction by freezing. There are three acceptable time/temperature methods to accomplish parasite destruction. All methods require that documentation or records be kept on-site and available for review during the food establishment inspection. The three acceptable time/temperature methods are:


Why is parasite destruction necessary?

All living organisms, including fish, can have parasites. Parasites are a natural occurrence and are not necessarily due to contamination. Parasites are killed during the cooking process and therefore do not present a health concern in thoroughly-cooked fish. Parasites become a concern when consumers eat raw, undercooked, or lightly-preserved fish (e.g., sashimi, sushi, or ceviche). Freezing, as required under the 2010 Regulations, kills any parasites that may be present.


What food items do not need a disclosure?

The disclosure is only for animal food products that can be served raw or undercooked. Menu items that will always be heated to kill all disease-causing germs will not require a disclosure. For example, chicken that is only served fully cooked (to the required internal temperature) should not be noted under the consumer advisory.


How does a food establishment indicate a reminder to the consumer?

“Thoroughly cooking food of animal origin, including but not limited to beef, eggs, fish, lamb, milk, poultry, or shellstock reduces the risk of foodborne illness. Young children, the elderly, and individuals with certain health conditions may be at a higher risk if these foods are consumed raw or undercooked.” OR...


Does a food establishment need to provide a consumer advisory?

A consumer advisory is only required if a food establishment offers menu items containing raw- or undercooked animal food products to consumers, including: Meat, eggs, poultry, seafood, and shellstock (e.g., oysters, clams, mussels, etc.). If all animal food products are cooked to required internal temperatures, then a food establishment does not need a consumer advisory.


What is a consumer advisory?

A consumer advisory is a written statement that a food establishment provides: 1. To inform consumers about the increased risk of foodborne illness when eating raw- or undercooked animal food products; and,


What about clean-up between required cleaning and sanitizing?

There are three ways to clean-up between routine warewashing: A wiping cloth in a sanitizer bucket, a spray bottle and towel, or a pre-moistened wipe. Sanitizer solution (regardless of the type used) must be available in every work area to wipe down equipment (e.g., meat slicers, counters, food preparation tables, cutting boards, and utensils). The surface of the equipment should remain wet with the sanitizer for the required contact time and be allowed to air dry.



Permitted Waste Tire Hauler List (updated 01/15/2019) Waste Tire Hauler Permit Application Example of waste tire manifest Downloadable Waste [...]