Special Events Child Care Facilities
A special events child care facility is a facility that is operated by an organization conducting a business that is not otherwise licensed or permitted to provide care to children.
A special events child care facility is located on the premises of a business at which a special event is held. The term does not include care to children that is provided in a hotel or motel room, or in the private home of a person who is attending a special event.
Child care offered by a special events facility may be provided only to the children of people attending the special event on the same date and time the special event is occurring.
Such child care may not be provided for more than seven days and for no more than 10 hours in one day. One day is the time period of one calendar day from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
A special events child care facility must meet all requirements of the Regulations Governing the Sanitation of Child Care Facilities PDF 656KB (hereinafter the Regulations) except the following sections:
- 6.1 General child care facility requirements
- 6.2.1 Carpet/absorbent flooring location prohibitions
- 6.10.1 Hand washing sink location and fixture height
- 126.96.36.199 Proof of ownership or lease agreement requirement
- 12 Plan review submission and approval
- 14.1.3 Thirty day timeframe for violation corrections
Health Permit Required
All special events child care facilities must have a current and valid special events child care facility health permit issued by the Health Authority in order to operate.
Any person operating a special events child care facility as defined in the regulations without a current and valid special events child care facility health permit is in violation of the regulations and will be ordered to cease and desist providing child care until they apply for and receive a valid health permit to operate a special events child care facility.
Application to Operate
Before commencing the operation of a special events child care facility, the applicant must make written application PDF 34KB for a special events child care facility health permit on forms provided by the Health Authority, pay all applicable fees, and receive written approval from the Health Authority to operate.
The applicant can be the special events child care facility operator, special events child care facility director, responsible person or persons, business entity, or other authorized agent representing the child care operator.
When making application PDF 34KB for a special events child care facility health permit, the following information and items must be brought to the Health Authority for review and/or approval:
- The name of the special event and the location address;
- The mailing address of the child care special events facility;
- A statement indicating whether the applicant is a natural person, firm, or corporation;
- The applicant’s full name, mailing address, and signature or that of a representative designated by them, if the applicant is a firm or corporation;
- The name of the responsible person for the special events child care facility and contact information such as addresses, phone numbers and signature, if different from the applicant or applicant’s representative;
- Proof of application to the appropriate licensing agency;
- A floor plan or diagram of the specific area in which child care will be provided in the special events child care facility;
- The proposed dates and hours of operation;
- A complete description of all child care services to be provided;
- A sample menu of foods and beverages which the child care center plans on providing.
Issuance of Health Permit
If the Health Authority determines, after investigation and inspection, that the proposed special events child care facility can be operated in accordance with the provisions of the regulations, a health permit may be issued to the child care operator for the licensed special events child care facility found to be in compliance with the regulations.
All persons charged with the duty of maintenance and operation of a special events child care facility shall operate the facility in conformity with the regulations. All health permits for child care special events facilities shall be obtained for each special event and are not renewable. Their issuance is conditional upon strict compliance with the regulations.
Health permits may be revoked or suspended for violation of the regulations in accordance with the procedures set forth in Sections 13 and 14.
Any health permit issued under the provisions of the regulations shall not be transferable by the health permit holder to any other person or entity and shall be valid only for the particular premises described on the health permit and the type of facility and number of children for which it was issued.
Health Permit Fee Schedule
Pursuant to NRS 439.360(5), and under the authority of NRS 439.410(3), the District Board of Health adopts by reference, the current Health Permit Fee Schedule PDF 128KB as it applies to special events child care facilities.
Posting a Health Permit
The current special events child care facility health permit must be posted in plain view of the general public and shall not be altered or defaced in any manner. The child care facility operator or other responsible person shall maintain a copy of the regulations on file at the facility readily available for parental review.
Failure to Comply
Failure to comply with the provisions of the regulations may result in individual foodhandler/child care health card suspension, special events child care facility health permit suspension, and/or an administrative hearing.
Updated on: March 5, 2019