Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
- Take two tablets, twice a day until they are gone. Take two in the morning and two at night, unless told otherwise.
- Do not have sexual contact with or without a condom for 7 days. Your body needs time to heal.
- Make sure to take all of the medication to complete your treatment. You will not be cured if you do not finish the medication.
- You may experience a metallic taste and dark or red/brown urine.
Metronidazole may cause side effects. Talk to your doctor if they become severe or do not go away:
- Upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, mild skin rash
Sometimes the side effects can be serious. While the following side effects are not likely, immediately go to the emergency room or call 911 if you experience any one of them:
- Severe skin rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing or swallowing; swelling of the face, hands, feet, ankles or lower legs; hoarseness; yellowing of the skin or eyes; rapid pounding or irregular heartbeat.
DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL 24 HOURS BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER TAKING THE MEDICATION. IT CAN MAKE YOU VERY SICK.
Updated on: January 2, 2019