Fact Sheet

A cottage food operation, as allowed by Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) Chapter 446, means a natural person who manufactures or prepares food items in a non-food establishment setting for sale to a natural person.

In Clark County, a cottage food operation cannot prepare or sell food items at a health district permitted food establishment.

Sale of Cottage Food Products

NRS 446 specifies where and to whom cottage food products can be sold:

  • Must be direct to the end consumer and not for resale.
  • May take place on the cottage food operator’s private property, site of manufacture, or at a farmer’s market, swap meet, flea market, church bazaar, garage sale or craft fair.
  • To remain exempted from permitting, cottage foods sold at a venue that is regulated by the health district, such as a farmers’ market or swap meet, must stay in its durable packaging with proper labeling affixed.
    • Food samples may be individually pre-portioned in closed, disposable containers at the cottage food operation kitchen for sample distribution at the sale site. Open product sampling is not allowed under the law.

Manufactured Foods Items

Per NRS 446, foods that can be manufactured by cottage food operations are limited to the following items:

  • Nuts and nut mixes;
  • Candies;
  • Jams, jellies, and preserves;
  • Vinegar and flavored vinegar;
  • Dry herbs and seasoning mixes;
  • Dried fruits;
  • Cereals, trail mixes, and granola;
  • Popcorn and popcorn balls; or
  • Baked goods that:
    • Are not potentially hazardous foods;
    • Do not contain cream, uncooked egg, custard, meringue or cream cheese frosting or garnishes; and
    • Do not require time or temperature controls for food safety.

Before Sale

Before selling foods, the cottage food operator must do the following:

  • Determine the type of durable packaging that will be used to protect the food items from contamination during transport, display, sale and purchase by consumers.
  • Design labeling for the food product. If product is sold at a venue under regulation by the Health District, a label review is required.
  • Register the cottage food operation with the Health District.

Contact Information

Phone: (702) 759-0500


Updated on: July 13, 2021

Skip to content