Body Art Card Requirements
Effective January 2, 2013 tattoo, body piercing and permanent makeup artistis will no longer need a Health Card. However, they are now required to get a Body Art Card to ensure the following requirements are met:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Have a minimum of six months experience or training.
- Obtained a score of at least 80 percent on a written examination.
- Possess current certification in infectious disease training.
Artists with a current, valid health card can apply for a renewal Body Art Card within 60 days of the health card expiration date.
New Body Art and Body Art Apprentice Card Instructions
- New applicants, including apprentices, must complete the application in person at the City of Las Vegas Development Services Center
333 N. Rancho Dr. Suite 450 Las Vegas, NV 89106 (map & directions).
- Applications are accepted Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. except on holidays.
- The fee is $138 ($118 exam fee plus $20 card fee).
- Cash, debit, Visa, MasterCard, money order, cashier’s checks, and business checks are accepted.
- Submit the following with the application:
- An appointment will be made to take the written Sanitation Exam. A missed appointment fee of $239 will be charged for applicants who miss their scheduled appointment without advance notification.
- Operators will receive a 30 day temporary so they may work while they study for the written exam.
- The temporary will be revoked if the exam is not passed and body art activities must cease until the exam is passed. Apprentices will be issued a temporary once they pass the written exam.
Download the Checklist and Fees PDF for a printer-friendly version of the instructions.
- Exams are given by appointment only and must be completed in two hours. The exam is 100 multiple choice questions and passing score is 80 percent.
- Study material for the exam consists of brochures and the Regulations Governing the Sanitation and Safety of Body Art Establishments. The regulations are available free online or for $1 per page at the health district. Download the regulations and brochures:
- Results of the exam will be available immediately.
- Applicants who do not pass can retake the exam. All body art activities must stop until the exam is passed.
Visit the CDC website for hepatitis information in Spanish.
At time of application, applicants must provide evidence that they have successfully completed a course on blood borne disease transmission that meets the requirements of the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard.
Renewal Body Art Card Instructions
Body Art Cards are valid for two years and may be renewed within 60 days before the expiration date.
- Renewal applicants must complete the application in person at the
City of Las Vegas Development Services Center
333 N. Rancho Dr., Suite 450
Las Vegas, NV 89106
(map & directions).
- Applications are accepted Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. except on holidays.
- Proof of valid infectious disease training completed within the previous two years must be provided.
- Late fees will be applied to renew expired cards. Operators whose cards have been expired for more than 12 months will be required to retake the exam and pay associated fees.
Phone: (702) 759-0677
Updated on: May 15, 2019