/Solid Waste & Compliance

Solid Waste & Compliance

The Solid Waste Management Authority (SWMA) is the district board of health in any area in which a health district has been created pursuant to NRS 439.362 or 439.370 and in any jurisdiction in which the board has authority pursuant to an interlocal agreement provided the board has adopted all regulations that are necessary to carry out the provisions of NRS 444.440 to 444.620, inclusive.

Under the Southern Nevada District Board of Health acting as the SWMA, the Solid Waste and Compliance section is responsible for managing the following programs:

  1. Permitted disposal facility inspections
  2. Illegal solid waste disposal site investigations and enforcement.
  3. Underground storage tanks (UST) compliance inspections and plan reviews
  4. Solid and special waste and public nuisance complaints investigations
  5. Notices of violation processing and conducting the Solid Waste Management Authority Hearing Officer process for illegal dumping complaints
  6. Restricted Waste Management Program

We define solid waste as:

  • “…all putrescible and nonputrescible refuse in solid, semisolid, or liquid form, including, but not limited to, garbage; rubbish; junk vehicles; ashes or incinerator residue, street refuse; dead animals; demolition waste; construction waste; and solid, semisolid, or liquid commercial and industrial waste. Any garbage, refuse, sludge from a waste treatment plant, water supply treatment plant, or air pollution control facility and other discarded material, including solid, liquid, semisolid, or contained gaseous material resulting from industrial, commercial, mining, and agricultural operations, and from community activities, but does not include solid or dissolved materials in domestic sewage, or solid or dissolved material in irrigation return flows or industrial discharges which are point sources subject to permits under section 402 of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, as amended (86 Stat. 880) or source, special nuclear, or byproduct material as defined by the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended (68 Stat. 923).”

Contact Information

Phone: (702) 759-0600


Updated on: June 25, 2021

Skip to content