March 17, 2020 — COVID-19 Update
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
March 17, 2020
Southern Nevada Health District Operations
The Southern Nevada Health District continues to offer clinical services to the community. Steps are being taken to ensure clients, patients, and staff are protected during service delivery. Additional services are suspended or available online. Check the Health District website for updated information:
- The Food Handler Safety Training Card (Health Card) program is suspended until May 1, 2020. Food Handlers will not be required to have their cards with them and new employees or employees that need to renew their cards will be able to temporarily work without cards. Food establishments will not be assigned demerits for food handlers without cards during this period.
- Birth and Death records are available online only. Information for online ordering is available on the Health District’s website atwww.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/programs/vital-records/birth-certificates/.
- 42 confirmed cases
- Including one confirmed death
The Health District continues to remind the public to take steps to protect themselves and others, including those most vulnerable to the impacts of COVID-19. This includes older adults and people who have chronic medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and others. Keep at least 6 feet between you and other people. Stay home as much as possible. Avoid shaking hands.
- Do not go to the emergency department unless it is essential. Emergency departments need to be able to serve those with the most critical needs.
- If you have a mild cough, fever, or other respiratory symptoms, contact your doctor first.
- Practice everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. Stay informed. The COVID-19 situation is changing frequently. Up to date information is available on the Health District website at www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/coronavirus or the CDC website at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
Access information about the Southern Nevada Health District on its website: www.SNHD.info. Follow the Health District on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SouthernNevadaHealthDistrict, YouTube: www.youtube.com/SNHealthDistrict, Twitter: www.twitter.com/SNHDinfo, and Instagram: www.instagram.com/southernnevadahealthdistrict/. The Health District is available in Spanish on Twitter: www.twitter.com/TuSNHD. Additional information and data can be accessed through the Healthy Southern Nevada website: www.HealthySouthernNevada.org.