Health District hosts 2nd Environmental Health Expo
Public invited to FREE family-friendly event on Wednesday, Sept. 26
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:24 September, 2018
LAS VEGAS – In commemoration of World Environmental Health Day, the Southern Nevada Health District is hosting its second Environmental Health Expo on Wednesday, Sept. 26. The public is invited to the Health District’s main location at 280 S. Decatur Blvd. from 10:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. to learn more about environmental health programs, participate in hands-on demonstrations, view exhibits, and much more. Health District staff and partners will provide information about their role in keeping the community healthy at this free, family-friendly event.
The Health District’s Environmental Health division oversees or regulates more than 30 programs that impact the county’s 2.2 million residents and 42 million visitors each year. Programs range from child care facility inspections, used mattress regulations, to tattoo and body piercing establishments.
“Our staff members are in the community every day ensuring our restaurants and public accommodations are safe, our water is clean, and so much more. We are excited to host the Environmental Health Expo again this year. It is an opportunity for members of the community to learn about how the Environmental Health division impacts their lives on a daily basis,” said Dr. Joe Iser, Chief Health Officer.
Environmental Health by the Numbers
In 2017 the Environmental Health division:
- Conducted more than 19,000 routine food establishment inspections, and approximately 9,500 temporary food establishment and sampling booth inspections.
- Received more than 1,575 illegal dumping complaints, presented 57 cases to the hearing officer, and assessed $78,700 in illegal dumping penalties.
- Conducted 505 tattoo, permanent make-up, and body piercing establishment inspections.
- Conducted more than 4,800 routine pool and spa inspections, and reviewed and released approximately 1,200 plan review projects for permitted pools and spas.
- Submitted 2,204 submission pools totaling 60,231 mosquitoes to Nevada State Department of Agriculture’s Animal Disease Lab to be tested for West Nile virus, Western Equine Encephalitis, and St. Louis Encephalitis.
Additional community partners at the event will include Republic Services, RENUoil of America, and SA Recycling. For a complete list of programs and regulatory services offered by the Environmental Health division visit the Health District website at www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/eh/index.php.
Access information about the Southern Nevada Health District on its website: www.SNHD.info. Follow the Health District on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SouthernNevadaHealthDistrict, YouTube: www.youtube.com/SNHealthDistrict, Twitter: www.twitter.com/SNHDinfo, and Instagram: www.instagram.com/southernnevadahealthdistrict/. The Health District is available in Spanish on Twitter: www.twitter.com/TuSNHD. Additional information and data can be accessed through the Healthy Southern Nevada website: www.HealthySouthernNevada.org.