Health District announces 2016 Public Health Heroes
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:28 April, 2016
LAS VEGAS – The Southern Nevada Health District announced its 2016 Public Health Heroes, recognition given to individuals or organizations whose efforts positively affect the health and well-being of the community. This year’s Public Health Heroes, Dr. Narbeh Ghazarian and Sara McCrea, were honored at today’s Southern Nevada District Board of Health meeting.
Dr. Narbeh Ghazarian/Orthopedic resident/UMC Trauma
Dr. Narbeh Ghazarian is currently a resident in orthopedic surgery at UMC’s trauma center and works for the Valley Health Systems as well. In addition to his work schedule, he provides free medical care to people in need in the community. Dr. Ghazarian also provides services to high school athletes by volunteering his services during games in the event of injuries and provides student athletes in middle and high schools in Clark County with free physicals so they can fully participate in their activities.
Sarah J McCrea, EMTP, RN/Quality Improvement coordinator/Las Vegas Fire and Rescue An RN, Sarah McCrea is the quality improvement coordinator for Las Vegas Fire and Rescue. In this role, she works with EMTs and stakeholders to address unmet community health needs. With her partners, she developed an innovative, cutting edge program to reach severely at-risk and highly marginalized members of the community who are rarely seen by health care professionals except for first responders. The goal of the program is to link those in difficult or extreme circumstances to personal health care services and social services.
Public Health Heroes are nominated by Health District staff members for their efforts in supporting one or more of the 10 Essential Public Health Services:
- Monitor the health status to identify and solve community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships and action to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed health services, assure the provision of healthcare when unavailable.
- Assure competent public and personal health care workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solution to health problems.
Access information about the Southern Nevada Health District on its website: www.SNHD.info. Follow the Health District on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SouthernNevadaHealthDistrict, YouTube: www.youtube.com/SNHealthDistrict, Twitter: www.twitter.com/SNHDinfo, and Instagram: www.instagram.com/southernnevadahealthdistrict/. The Health District is available in Spanish on Twitter: www.twitter.com/TuSNHD. Additional information and data can be accessed through the Healthy Southern Nevada website: www.HealthySouthernNevada.org.