5 elementary school classes win health district’s 8th annual Coaches Challenge
Coaches to visit winning classrooms
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
May 12, 2015
LAS VEGAS – Fruit, vegetables, physical activity . . . a trifecta for good health. More than 10,000 Clark County School District elementary school children took this information seriously during their participation in the 8th annual Coaches Challenge program. A UNLV head coach will visit each of the five winning classrooms to congratulate the students for their efforts and to encourage them to make healthy choices and to be physically active. For information about the annual Coaches Challenge program or tips about adopting a healthy lifestyle, visit www.GetHealthyClarkCounty.org or call the Southern Nevada Health District’s Office of Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, (702) 759-1270.
This year’s Coaches Challenge program included students from 87 elementary schools. Participating classes collectively earned a total of 300,719 points, the most since the program began in 2007. Each point equals a serving of fruit or vegetables or 15 minutes of physical activity.
This year’s Coaches Challenge winning classrooms represent 5 elementary schools. They will be visited by the following head coaches:
- 1st Grade- Hoggard Elementary School: Softball coach Lisa Dodd, 1:30 p.m., Thur. May 14, Mabel Hoggard Elementary School, 950 N Tonopah Dr Las Vegas, 89106
- 2nd Grade – Fay Galloway Elementary School: Women’s basketball coach Kathy Olivier, 1 p.m., Wed. May 13, Fay Galloway Elementary School, 701 Skyline Rd Henderson, 89002
- 3rd Grade – Park Elementary School: Football coach, Tony Sanchez, 11 a.m.., Wed. May 13, John S Park Elementary School, 931 Franklin Ave Las Vegas, 89104
- 4th Grade – Harmon Elementary School: Track & field coach, Yvonne Wade, 10:30 a.m., Tue. May 19, Harmon Elementary School 5351 Hillsboro Lane, LV 89120
- 5th Grade – John Vanderburg Elementary School: Men’s basketball coach, Dave Rice, 9 a.m., Wed. May 13. Vanderburg Elementary School, 2040 E. Desert Shadow Trail, Henderson 89012
The annual Coaches Challenge is a collaborative effort between the Southern Nevada Health District, the Clark County School District and UNLV Athletics. The Challenge encourages grade-school children to choose healthy food and to participate in physical activity. Each year, the winning classrooms receive tickets to UNLV sporting events and the grand prize winning classrooms receive a visit from a UNLV head coach.
Access information about the Southern Nevada Health District on its website: www.SNHD.info. Follow the Health District on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SouthernNevadaHealthDistrict, YouTube: www.youtube.com/SNHealthDistrict, Twitter: www.twitter.com/SNHDinfo, and Instagram: www.instagram.com/southernnevadahealthdistrict/. The Health District is available in Spanish on Twitter: www.twitter.com/TuSNHD. Additional information and data can be accessed through the Healthy Southern Nevada website: www.HealthySouthernNevada.org.