Health District announces 2015 Public Health Hero
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
April 23, 2015
LAS VEGAS – The Southern Nevada Health District announced its 2015 Public Health Hero, recognition given to individuals or organizations whose efforts positively affect the health and well-being of the community. This year’s Public Health Hero, Rosita Castillo, was honored at today’s Southern Nevada District Board of Health meeting.
Rosita Castillo is the program manager for Planned Parenthood of Southern Nevada’s Promotores de Salud, a program that trains community health workers in sexual health issues as well as sexual health resources. These health care staff members serve as educators for groups or in individual settings, primarily for Spanish-speaking clients.
In addition, she is an active member of the Southern Nevada HIV Prevention Planning Group and serves as a point of referral for the health district’s sexual health clinic clients, especially those who are HIV-positive and in need of medical assistance or resources.
Public Health Heroes are nominated by health district staff members for their efforts in supporting one or more of the 10 Essential Public Health Services:
- Monitor the health status to identify and solve community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships and action to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed health services, assure the provision of healthcare when unavailable.
- Assure competent public and personal health care workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solution to health problems.
The Southern Nevada Health District serves as the local public health authority for Clark County, Boulder City, Henderson, Las Vegas, Mesquite and North Las Vegas. The agency safeguards the public health of the community’s residents and visitors through innovative programs, regulations, and initiatives focused on protecting and promoting their health and well-being. More information about the Health District, its programs, services, and the regulatory oversight it provides is available at www.SNHD.info.