Southern Nevada Health District to Offer Seasonal Flu Shots
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:15 September, 2011
LAS VEGAS – The Southern Nevada Health District will begin to offer seasonal flu vaccine to the public at 8 a.m., Monday, Sept. 19. Flu shots are $28, the inhaled flu vaccine is $43, and the new high-dose shot for people 65 and older is $53. Pneumonia shots, Zostavax (shingles vaccine), and TDaP (tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis vaccine) will also be offered to flu clinic clients over the age of 65. For more information, contact the health district’s immunization clinic at (702) 759-0850 or visit www.SNHD.info.
It is recommended that everyone 6 months of age and older get a yearly flu vaccination and there are ample supplies of influenza vaccine available this season. The health district encourages everyone to get flu vaccinations, especially persons at high-risk of complications from the flu including children younger than 5 (children younger than 2 years old are at highest risk), adults 65 years of age and older and pregnant women.
Immunizations are available at the following health district locations:
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
- Ravenholt Public Health Center, 625 Shadow Lane, Las Vegas, Nev., 89106
Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
- East Las Vegas Public Health Center, 560 N. Nellis Blvd., Ste. E12, Las Vegas, Nev., 89110
- Henderson Public Health Center, 520 E. Lake Mead Parkway, Henderson, Nev., 89015
Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. CLOSED for lunch from noon to 1 p.m.
- Mesquite Public Health Center, 830 Hafen Lane, Mesquite, Nev., 89027
Methods of payment for flu vaccine include Medicare Part B, Medicare Railroad Part B, Medicaid, Nevada Medicaid and Check-Up, Amerigroup Community Care Medicaid and Check-Up, or cash (checks are not accepted). Clients must present their Medicare insurance card or Medicaid voucher at the time of service. In addition, the health district will serve as a provider for United Health Care Medicare HMO plans, Health Plan of Nevada and Sierra Health and Life, and HPN Medicaid and Check-Up. For those not covered, who are covered by other insurance providers, or without proof of Medicare or Medicaid insurance, the cost for flu vaccination is $28 for the shot, $43 for the inhaled mist.
Flu shots are also recommended for people with certain medical conditions including:
- Neurological and neurodevelopmental conditions [including disorders of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerve, and muscle such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy (seizure disorders), stroke, intellectual disability (mental retardation), moderate to severe developmental delay, muscular dystrophy, or spinal cord injury].
- Chronic lung disease (such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD] and cystic fibrosis
- Heart disease (such as congenital heart disease, congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease)
- Blood disorders (such as sickle cell disease)
- Endocrine disorders (such as diabetes mellitus)
- Kidney disorders
- Liver disorders
- Metabolic disorders (such as inherited metabolic disorders and mitochondrial disorders)
- Weakened immune system due to disease or medication (such as people with HIV or AIDS, or cancer, or those on chronic steroids)
- People younger than 19 years of age who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy
- People who are morbidly obese (Body Mass Index, or BMI, of 40 or greater)
To help prevent the spread of the virus: avoid close contact with people who are sick, stay home if you’re sick, cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, wash your hands, and avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
Updated information about the Southern Nevada Health District can be found on Facebook www.facebook.com/SouthernNevadaHealthDistrict, on YouTube www.youtube.com/SNHealthDistrict or Twitter www.twitter.com/SNHDinfo.
Visit the Media Contacts webpage for media related inquiries.
Access information about the Southern Nevada Health District on its website: www.SNHD.info. Follow the Health District on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SouthernNevadaHealthDistrict, YouTube: www.youtube.com/SNHealthDistrict, Twitter: www.twitter.com/SNHDinfo, and Instagram: www.instagram.com/southernnevadahealthdistrict/. The Health District is available in Spanish on Twitter: www.twitter.com/TuSNHD. Additional information and data can be accessed through the Healthy Southern Nevada website: www.HealthySouthernNevada.org.