Skip to content
What methods of sterilization/disinfection are approved for use?
- Thorough washing and disinfection/sterilization by prolonged boiling for at least 1 hour.
- Steam delivered at equal to or greater than 15 pounds per square inch (PSI) of pressure for at least 30 minutes. A gauge for registering steam pressure, visible from the outside of the room, must be provided where steam under pressure is used.
- Two applications of streaming steam maintained for 1 hour each to be applied at intervals of not less than 6 hours or more than 24 hours will be accepted as an alternate for steam under pressure for disinfection of mattress materials or made-up mattresses. When streaming steam is employed, outlets with valves must be provided near the bottom and top of the room used for this purpose.
- Application of a chemical pesticide registered with or exempted by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and registered with the State Department of Agriculture for that purpose.
- Exposure to a dry heat environment for 1.25 hours at a temperature of 230°F or 205°F for 1.5 hours. All chambers shall be equipped with racks or devices and the articles to be sterilized / disinfected shall be so placed therein so that complete circulation of heat and gases around every article being sterilized / disinfected shall be attained.
- An alternate method may be presented to the local health authority and may be approved based on review of the method.NOTE: All methods outlined presuppose that the outside mattress covers have been inspected for and found to be free of filth, staining, or soiling under natural and ultraviolet light, OR that the mattress covers will be subsequently laundered using a chemical disinfectant or removed and replaced with new material.