Skip to content
What are some of the effects of hepatitis B on children?
- Up to 90 percent of babies infected at birth with HBV become carriers.
- Carriers of HBV can pass it on to others through sexual contact or blood exposure.
- Fifteen to 25 percent of these carriers will ultimately die of liver failure.
- About one-third of chronic HBV infections in the U.S. start in perinatal and early childhood.
- HBV causes hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) that kills about 1,000 Americans annually.