- Keep food in the driest and coolest spot in the house – not above 70º F and not below freezing.
- Open food boxes or cans carefully so that you can close them tightly after each use.
- Wrap cookies and crackers in plastic bags and keep them in tight containers.
- Empty opened packages of sugar, dried fruits and nuts into screw-top jars or air-tight cans to protect them from pests.
- Inspect all food containers for signs of spoilage before use.
- To protect boxed foods from pests and extend their shelf life, store the boxes in tightly closed cans or metal containers.
- Rotate your food supply. Use foods before they go bad and replace them with fresh supplies. Place new items at the back of the storage area and older ones in front.