Take 1 capsule 2 times a day with food to prevent an upset stomach.
- Doxycycline works best if you avoid taking antacids, like Tums or Rolaids, as well as bismuth, calcium, iron supplements and multivitamins.
- Do not have sexual contact with or without a condom during treatment and for 7 days after completing treatment. This gives your body time to heal and prevents the spread of disease.
- Make sure that you take all of the medication to complete your treatment. You will not be cured if you do not take all of the medicine. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION IF YOU ARE PREGNANT.
You may experience side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- Upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, mild skin rash.
- Doxycycline makes your skin sensitive to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun if possible. If you must be in the sun, cover your skin with a hat, long sleeved shirt, etc.
Sometimes the side effects can be serious. The following symptoms are uncommon, but if you experience any of them, immediately go to the emergency room or call 911.
- Severe skin rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; swelling of the face, hands, feet, ankles or lower legs; hoarseness; yellowing of the skin or eyes; rapid pounding or irregular heartbeat.
**Do not drink alcoholic beverages during your treatment and for 7 days after completion.**
Updated on: January 2, 2019