Advisory Board Bylaws
SOUTHERN NEVADA HEALTH DISTRICT PUBLIC HEALTH ADVISORY BOARD BYLAWS
ARTICLE 1: NAME
1.1 The name of this board shall be the Southern Nevada District Board of Health Public Health Advisory Board, hereinafter referred to as the Advisory Board.
ARTICLE 2: AUTHORITY
2.1 The Advisory Board is an eight (8) member standing board authorized pursuant to Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) Chapter 439.362. It has no legislative, administrative, or programmatic authority and is advisory only.
ARTICLE 3: PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
3.1 The Advisory Board serves as an advisory body to the Board of Health. The Advisory Board:
- Makes recommendations to the Board of Health on major policy matters concerning the nature, scope, and extent of public health services;
- Makes recommendations to the Board of Health relating to improvement of the delivery of public health services; and
- May assume other responsibilities as requested by the Board of Health.
ARTICLE 4: COMPOSITION
3.1 The Advisory Board and the term of its members are prescribed by law. the Advisory Board will consist of:
- One (1) resident of each city in the county selected by that city’s governing body;
- A physician licensed to practice medicine in this State, selected on the basis of their education, training, experience or demonstrated abilities in the provision of health care services to members of minority groups and other medically underserved populations;
- A nurse licensed to practice nursing in this State; and
- An individual with a background or expertise in environmental health or environmental health services.
ARTICLE 5: TERM
5.1 Members of the Advisory Board serve terms of two (2) years.
- The physician, nurse, and environmental health representative on the initial Advisory Board will serve a term of one (1) year.
5.2 Vacancies must be filled in the same manner as the original selection for the remainder of the unexpired term.
ARTICLE 6: OFFICERS
6.1 The officers of the Advisory Board shall be a Chair and Vice-Chair. Election of officers shall occur annually at the July Advisory Board meeting.
- The Chair shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the full Advisory Board, and enforce the parliamentary rules and order of business pursuant to the Agenda and Nevada’s open meeting law.
- Have the right to offer resolutions and to discuss questions.
- Have the power to vote on all matters, except as otherwise prohibited by law.
- Call special meetings of the Advisory Board whenever there is sufficient business to come before the Advisory Board or upon written request of at least three (3) members of the Advisory Board.
- Advise the District Health Officer on Agenda preparation for the meetings.
- Appoint a Chair and members of Advisory Board committees.
- Exercise such other powers as may be delegated by the Advisory Board.
- The Vice-Chair shall:
- In the absence of the Chair, serve in the capacity and assume the duties of the Chair, taking actions appropriate to fulfill said responsibilities.
6.3 Committees which include non-Advisory Board members may be created by Advisory Board action and the size and membership determined by the Advisory Board.
6.4 No member of the Advisory Board can bind the Advisory Board by word or action unless the Advisory Board has, in its capacity as a body, designated such member as its agent for that specific purpose only.
ARTICLE 7: MEETINGS
7.1 The Advisory Board shall hold
- Four regular meetings each year.
- Special meetings as called by the Chair.
7.2 Advisory Board members may participate in a meeting by means of conference telephone or similar communication equipment by means of which all persons participating in the meeting can hear each other. Participation in a meeting pursuant to this method shall constitute presence in person at such meeting.
7.3 The Agenda for Advisory Board meetings shall be prepared by the District Health Officer. The order of business as specified on the Agenda for Advisory Board meetings may be changed at the discretion of the Chair, and shall generally be as follows:
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Public Comment
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Consent Agenda
- Health Officer and Staff Reports
- Public Comment
7.4 A majority of the members of the Advisory Board constitutes a quorum.
7.5 Motions on action items shall require a second.
7.6 Any action of the Advisory Board shall require a majority vote of the members in attendance and eligible to vote.
7..7 A roll call vote of record of the Advisory Board shall be had upon request of any Advisory Board member.
7.8 Each member shall be entitled to one (1) vote.
7.9 Special meetings may be held upon notice to each member of the Advisory Board as often and in such places within the Clark County as the needs of the Advisory Board require.
7.10 Meetings will generally follow the parliamentary procedure as contained in Robert’s Rules of Order insofar as they do not conflict with the Nevada Revised Statutes and these Bylaws.
7.11 In all cases, meetings shall be noticed and held in a manner consistent with the then current Nevada Open Meeting Law, NRS Chapter 241.
7.12 Members are expected to attend all meetings of the Advisory Board.
7.13 Any Member who has been absent from three (3) meetings will be subject to removal by the Board of Health.
ARTICLE 8: STAFFING
8.1 Staff for Advisory Board meetings shall be provided by the Southern Nevada Health District for purposes of secretarial, research, and other needs.
8.2 The District Health Officer shall act as Executive Secretary to the Advisory Board.
ARTICLE 9: AMENDMENTS
9.1 These Bylaws may be amended by affirmative vote of a majority of all members of the Advisory Board.
ARTICLE 10: EFFECTIVE DATE
10.1 These Bylaws and any amendments shall become effective and binding upon the Advisory Board immediately upon approval by the Board of Health.
Approved by the Southern Nevada District Board of Health on April 28, 2016.
Adopted by the Southern Health Nevada District Advisory Board on May 16, 2016.
Approved by the Southern Nevada District Board of Health on January 27, 2022.
Updated on: January 31, 2022