A Guide for the General Public

The Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act went into effect on Dec. 8, 2006, and prohibits the smoking of tobacco products in most public places and indoor places of employment.

Why was the Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act passed?

The Act was passed in order to protect the public from secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke, also called environmental tobacco smoke, is a combination of smoke from the burning end of a cigarette, cigar or pipe and the smoke exhaled by smokers. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reports that secondhand smoke contains more than 4,000 substances, many of which are known to cause cancer in humans.

In 2006, the U.S. Surgeon General released a comprehensive report stating that there is no risk-free level of secondhand smoke exposure.

Where is smoking now banned in Nevada?

Nevada law limits smoking tobacco within most indoor places of employment including:

  • Public and private school buildings and on public and private school grounds
  • Child care facilities
  • All areas of grocery stores, convenience stores, and drug stores
  • All indoor areas within restaurants, including those in casinos or gaming establishments
  • Shopping malls and retail establishments
  • Video arcades
  • Government buildings and public places
  • Movie theaters

How does the law affect the slot machine areas of grocery and convenience stores?

Nevada law now bans smoking in all areas of grocery and convenience stores, including gaming areas in these businesses.

How does the new law affect casinos?

The Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act does not apply to gaming areas of casinos. Smoking is still allowed in these areas; however, a casino operator can designate separate rooms or areas within the establishment as nonsmoking. For example, many casinos now voluntarily offer smoke-free poker rooms.

Areas of casinos that are not in the gaming area are required to be smoke-free, including: restaurants, bars, shopping malls, retail establishments, concert halls, theaters, convention areas, etc.

How does the law affect restaurants and bars?

All indoor areas of restaurants are now required to be smoke-free. Smoking is still allowed in outdoor areas of restaurants. Restaurants contained within gaming establishments or casinos are also required to ban smoking.

Stand-alone bars, taverns and saloons in which patrons under 21 years of age are prohibited from entering, may allow smoking.

Where is smoking still allowed?

The Act states that smoking is permitted in:

  • Areas within casinos where loitering by minors is already prohibited by state law pursuant to NRS 463.350
  • Completely enclosed areas within stand-alone bars, taverns and saloons in which patrons under 21 years of age are prohibited from entering.
  • Age-restricted stand-alone bars, taverns and saloons.
  • Strip clubs and brothels
  • Retail tobacco stores
  • Private residences, including private residences that may serve as an office workplace, except if used as a child care, adult day care or health care facility
  • The area of a convention facility in which a meeting or trade show is being held, during the time the meeting or trade show is occurring, if the meeting or trade show:
    • Is not open to the public
    • Is being produced or organized by a business relating to tobacco or a professional association for convenience stores
    • Involves the display of tobacco products

If an establishment allows me to smoke inside, am I still breaking the law?

Even if an establishment allows you to smoke in an area where smoking is prohibited, you are violating the Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act and may be subject to any applicable penalties.

How will the Act be enforced?

Compliance with the Act is the responsibility of the establishment, its agents and employees. The Southern Nevada Health District has the duty to enforce the provisions of the Act and responds to complaints of violations.

How can I report violations of the Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act?

Violations can be reported by completing the NCIAA Complaint Form or by calling (702) 759-1990.

Where can I find more information?

For more information regarding compliance with the Act, call the Southern Nevada Health District’s Environmental Health Division at (702) 759-0588.

For more information on the dangers of secondhand smoke, call the Southern Nevada Health District’s Tobacco Control Program at (702) 759-1270.

If I smoke and want to quit, where ca n I get more information?

Call the Nevada Tobacco Quitline at 1-800-QUIT NOW (1-800- 784-8669) or visit www.nevadatobaccoquitline.com.

Contact Information

(702) 759-1990

Updated on: August 22, 2018