A Guide for Child Care Facilities

The Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act went into effect on Dec. 8, 2006, and prohibits the smoking of tobacco products in most public places and indoor places of employment.

Where is smoking prohibited?

The Act states that smoking tobacco in any form is prohibited within most indoor places of employment including:

  • Public and private school buildings and on public and private school grounds
  • Child care facilities
  • All areas of grocery stores, convenience stores, and drug stores
  • All indoor areas within restaurants, including those in casinos or gaming establishments
  • Shopping malls and retail establishments
  • Video arcades
  • Government buildings and public places
  • Movie theaters

Where is smoking still allowed?

The Act states that smoking is permitted in:

  • Areas within casinos where loitering by minors is already prohibited by state law pursuant to NRS 463.350
  • Completely enclosed areas within stand-alone bars, taverns and saloons in which patrons under 21 years of age are prohibited from entering.
  • Age-restricted stand-alone bars, taverns and saloons.
  • Strip clubs and brothels
  • Retail tobacco stores
  • Private residences, including private residences that may serve as an office workplace, except if used as a child care, adult day care or health care facility
  • The area of a convention facility in which a meeting or trade show is being held, during the time the meeting or trade show is occurring, if the meeting or trade show:
    • Is not open to the public
    • Is being produced or organized by a business relating to tobacco or a professional association for convenience stores
    • Involves the display of tobacco products

Why was the Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act passed?

The Act was passed in order to protect the public from secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke, also called environmental tobacco smoke, is a combination of smoke from the burning end of a cigarette, cigar or pipe and the smoke exhaled by smokers. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reports that secondhand smoke contains more than 4,000 substances, many of which are known to cause cancer in humans.

In 2006, the U.S. Surgeon General released a comprehensive report stating that there is no risk-free level of secondhand smoke exposure.

What child care facilities are included in the Act?

The Act prohibits smoking in child care facilities with five or more children under the age of 18 years, if compensation is received for any one of the five children. This includes on-site child care at businesses for employees, outdoor youth programs and private homes where licensed child care is provided.

Since cities and counties may have more stringent licensing requirements than outlined in this Act, it is advised that you contact the licensing department in your jurisdiction for more information. The Act does prohibit smoking within most indoor places of employment.

Are private residences included in the smoking ban?

Only private residences that also serve as licensed child care facilities are included in the smoking ban.

As the operator of a child care facility, what does the Act require me to do?

Employers must post conspicuous “No Smoking” signs at every entrance. Non-exempt businesses must keep smoking paraphernalia, including items to be used as ash receptacles, from areas where smoking is prohibited and inform smoking customers or clients that smoking is not permitted.

Free, downloadable “No Smoking” signs are available on the “No Smoking” Signs webpage.

How will the Act be enforced?

Compliance with the Act is the responsibility of the establishment, its agents and employees. The Southern Nevada Health District has the duty to enforce the provisions of the Act and responds to complaints of violations.

How can I report violations of the Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act?

Violations can be reported by completing the NCIAA Complaint Form or by calling (702) 759-1990.

Where can I find more information?

For more information regarding compliance with the Act, call the Southern Nevada Health District’s Environmental Health Division at (702) 759-0588.

For more information on the dangers of secondhand smoke, call the Southern Nevada Health District’s Tobacco Control Program at (702) 759-1270.

If I smoke and want to quit, where can I get more information?

Call the Nevada Tobacco Quitline at 1-800-QUIT NOW (1-800- 784-8669) or visit www.nevadatobaccoquitline.com.

Contact Information

(702) 759-1990

Updated on: August 22, 2018