Gonorrhea – Quick Facts
- Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
- In the United States, about 700,000 people get gonorrhea each year.
- Gonorrhea is spread through contact with the penis, vagina, mouth or anus.
- Ejaculation does not have to occur to get or give gonorrhea.
- Gonorrhea can be passed from an infected mother to her baby during delivery.
- Anyone who has sex can get gonorrhea.
- Untreated gonorrhea can cause serious and permanent health problems in both women and men.
- People with gonorrhea can more easily contract HIV.
- HIV-infected people with gonorrhea are more likely to spread HIV to someone else.
- Several antibiotics can cure gonorrhea. However, drug-resistant strains of gonorrhea are increasing and successful treatment of gonorrhea is becoming more difficult.
- Stop having sex and see a doctor immediately if you think you might have gonorrhea.
Updated on: August 2, 2018