Gonorrhea – Quick Facts
- Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
- In the United States, about 555,608 cases of gonorrhea were reported in 2017.
- Gonorrhea is the second most commonly reported notifiable disease in the United States.
- Gonorrhea is spread through contact with the penis, vagina, mouth or anus.
- Ejaculation does not have to occur to get or give gonorrhea.
- Gonorrhea can be passed from an infected mother to her baby during delivery.
- Anyone who has sex can get gonorrhea.
- Untreated gonorrhea can cause serious and permanent health problems in both women and men.
- People with gonorrhea can more easily contract HIV.
- HIV-infected people with untreated gonorrhea are more likely to transmit or accquire HIV.
- Several antibiotics can cure gonorrhea. However, drug-resistant strains of gonorrhea are increasing and successful treatment of gonorrhea is becoming more difficult.
- Stop having sex and see a health care provider immediately if you think you might have gonorrhea.
Updated on: December 6, 2019