Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional injury and death in Clark County for children 4 years old and under.
Drownings can be prevented:
- The most common drowning victim is a child 4 years old or younger.
- The majority of drowning deaths occur in the family pool with 70 percent of the incidents occurring between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Contrary to what many people believe, drowning is a quick and silent killer. In the time it takes to:
- Get a towel – (10 seconds) a child can become submerged
- Answer the phone – (two minutes) a child can lose consciousness
- Answer the front door – (four – six minutes) a submerged child can sustain permanent brain damage or die
(702) 759-1039 or (702) 759-0889
Updated on: August 20, 2018