Packaged Health Food and Vitamin Stores
The purpose of this requirement sheet is to provide guidance regarding the minimum standards for health food & vitamin stores. See the Regulations Governing Sanitation of Food Establishments for complete regulatory requirements.
- Warehousing, stocking, display and sale of non-hazardous packaged, canned, or bottled product in original commercial packaging. Minimum requirements:
- Sealed, smooth concrete or tile floors under all food / supplement storage. Carpet is not allowed in food storage or sale display areas.
- Smooth and cleanable wall surfacing (painted with hard enamel paint minimum).
- 20 foot/candles of light at 30 inches above the floor.
- Light fixtures must be protected from accidental breakage.
- Ceiling without exposed insulation (scrim-sheeting minimum).
- A restroom (with commode and lavatory) within the facility serviced with hot and cold water, approved soap and disposable towels, adequate ventilation, and a self-closing door.
- A mop-sink or hose bib. If only providing a hose bib, the restroom lavatory must have provision for filling a mop bucket and disposing of mop water. If hoses are attached to a sink faucet, the faucet must have at least an atmospheric vacuum breaker attached.
- NSFI or equivalent dunnage racks and/or shelving, with 6″ clearance between the floor and the bottom shelf. Gondolas are acceptable for Grocery use.
- Palletized goods storage areas must have a “clear zone” of 18″ inches between the walls and the pallets to facilitate rodent control and general cleaning, and for inspection access.
- Refrigeration of pre-packaged hazardous food product in original packages, boxes or pallets. Minimum requirements– all of the above, plus:
- NSF Standard 7 Refrigeration/freezer units, either walk-in, roll-in, or reach-in. Units meeting the requirements of NSFI/ANSI 7, section 5.34.2 or section 5.34.5 labeling requirements may not be used to store hazardous foods or unpackaged foods. Units meeting the requirements of NSFI/ANSI 7, section 5.34.1 labeling requirements may not be used to store unpackaged foods.
- 20 foot/candles required in refrigerators and freezers.
- Refrigeration condensate properly drained to a floor-sink or by other approved method.
- Bulk health foods or supplement ingredients that includes open product that is handled, dispensed, or repackaged. Minimum requirements– all of the above, plus:
- An NSF-approved hand-washing sink serviced with hot and cold water, approved soap and disposable towels;
- An NSF-approved three-compartment ware-washing sink, with dirty and clean side drain-boards, serviced with hot and cold water , and plumbed indirect to sewer via a floor sink; FRP or stainless steel panels must be used for wall-covering immediately around all sinks.
- NSF-approved equipment, including work tables and counters.
- 50 f/c of light measured at all food-handling and ware-washing areas and equipment.
Phone: (702) 759-1258
Updated on: July 11, 2021